Tuesday 10 March 2020

Tuesday 10th March 2020 - how a comment can affect your day

Image result for positive or negative


"One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don't invest any energy in them, because I know who I am"
Michelle Obama

Posted 2:30pm

HMHB is really being tested at the moment. I keep saying it, but dealing with large organisations who are meant to have the best intentions for their clients can be frustrating, as there appears to be a kind of apathy and "could not care less" attitude with some of their staff.

I do have an example.

We are dealing with a large business at the moment. We are looking to work with some of their users. We have spent a lot of time and effort in building up a rapport and trust. This has involved talking to their users to promote our course.
I popped in this morning to talk to one of the bosses who oversees the group this morning. Just to check on numbers attending. I was my normal bubbly self, in fact quite upbeat and polite.
We have found you get the best results from people when you are attentive and interested in them. If you are pleasant and smiling, and listen and chat, it can bring out the best in that person. Something as simple as a kind word or action can go a long way, and even influence how they feel during the day.
The person this morning was none of those. They were dismissive, impolite, and treated me as if I was an inconvenience, a nuisance, and that they did not want to interact at all. I was seriously taken aback as this has not happened to me for a very long time.  Maybe they were having a bad day, who knows?  But they deal front line with people going through mental health issues and problems, and if they are like that to me, and I am quite a strong person, then how are they with others.

I decided to follow up with an email, and mentioned how I felt. And for me to complain, then it has to have been bad.

I put this, as we are dealing with a varied client base. But many will have some kind of mental health problem, and we are also trying to show guidance of dealing with any future issues that may arise. A simple smile and greeting can go a long way to making someone comfortable. An encouraging voice will build you up. Negativity breeds negativity. It was such a freakish weird event I just wanted to share.

I now worry if we will get numbers to our course tomorrow. I thought we would be getting at least 8-15 people, but because of their attitude and apathy I fear a very small number, if any at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment