Sunday 8 January 2017

Sunday 8th January 2017: HNY, Strava, Walks, Twitter, plus 2017

Image result for strava
Strava

Posted 8:30pm

Happy New Year everyone:  Yes, I know I am a week late but, as you will see from the content of this entry, it has not been slow.

There is a great saying - there is no point welcoming a new year in, and then just going back to the old year bad habits.  It is so true.  I am not into resolutions per se; but it is a great time to look at how you are doing, and what you can be doing better - hence HMHB, Ajani and Izzwalkz.

Adam has introduced me to an app called Strava - and we will be using this app with our users throughout the year.  It can measure your walk, run, bike ride, showing a digital map of the length of the activity, including total time.  It also means, if you post it in a certain way, that others can also see your activity, making you accountable - which I believe is one of the strongest encouragements of continuing with exercise and health.

First Clissold Walk of 2017
Thursday 5th January

Izzwalkz is also going very well. We had our sixth walk in Clissold Park on the 5th January - pic above.  Next week we will be walking with the Islington media representative, and we are hoping to get a solid mention in their magazine that goes to all properties in Islington.  We have also had some exciting tweets and messages on Twitter, and there could be some thrilling results from that.  More news to follow.

SHP - Clissold House
Friday 6th January 2017


Single Homeless Project, with whom we will be running our first Ajani program, wanted to experience a walk, so they came with me on Friday - and above is a picture of some of them with me in the Clissold House Tea Room.  They were very enthusiastic, and it was lovely to actually show people what we are doing.

I have discovered a Free Group Bootcamp session in Clissold Park every Saturday morning at 10am. The next two Saturdays I am busy but from then on I will be attending myself, and using that as something we can bring clients to, if they choose to take part.  I have contacted the person running it, and they are happy to have us there.

Overall, we can welcome in 2017 with great expectancy and anticipation.  The biggest question is going to be funding, and then making sure we can run enough programs to justify the money.  We are meeting the DWP, and I have followed up on the december presentation with other organisations.  I cant see any problems getting programs, it just the necessary funding for salaries - but we have several irons in the fire.

We are still waiting to hear about our small funding application for a grant from Arsenal in the Community, and I very much hope that can be part of our service.

So, I think 2017 is going to be great. And that is down to being proactive and persistent, and self-belief.  All of these are facets we are promoting within our programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment