Wednesday 12 July 2017

Wednesday 12th July 2017 - funding meetings and opportunities

Image result for islington nhs ccg

Posted 1:00pm
Am sitting down with a lovely cup of coffee feeling in a positive mood. We have been talking for months and months (well years actually) about funding; persistence and perserverence are maybe finally paying off.

I have a meeting in an hour to talk to a funder to expand and sustain our Izzwalkz program. As our regular followers will know, we have always been aiming for a minimum of five weekly walks in Islington - spreading over the borough (with thoughts on six or seven). That would mean at least 260 organised health walks a year which would be phenomenal. But that organisation would need a small financial income - to cover things like volunteer travel and clothing, insurance, marketing (posters and flyers), an online social media presence - including paid exposure, as well as website and domain name expenses.  We would anticipate approx £20 per walk - which on the face of it is cheap for the outcomes we are already seeing;  increased energy, better social inclusion, raised confidence, happier people. The walks even include some stretching and gentle exercise - so again that can only be good for people.  Hopefully, this funder will also see what we are doing and we can get in a successful application.

I attended an Islington PPG (patients group) meeting last night, organised by Healthwatch in Islington, and attended by patients, medical professionals etc. from Islington Medical Practices to chat with Islington Commissioners about ongoing work in the borough.  I found it very interesting. Fateha, the practice manager for Highbury Grange Medical Practice was there, and we had a quick catch up.  I also finally met with Emma, the CEO for Healthwatch. I have been in contact with her for over six months, and has been encouraging and helpful to us.
The best part was that we were able to ask questions. I already chatted to Emma asking how I should maybe word my question; And I asked - why is it impossible for new projects to meet and chat with the CCG? We understand that money is tight, and we certainly do not expect anyone to just give us anything. But when we have a project that everyone likes, is different from any current service available, and one in which we are getting good feedback from, we should at least be able to meet and chat with the CCG about what we are doing, but it is impossible.  Why is that?" - And i got a reply that I felt, in my opinion, was a little pfaffy. It didnt really answer my question. So, me being me, I said that - and again stressed that a new project like ourselves needed to be able to talk to the CCG.  Well, that worked. A lady, who I found our later is one of the active people on the commissioning board, came along to chat with me - and I will be forwarding on paperwork to her with a view to another meet so we can discuss how can we proceed.  Not bad!!!

I have also contacted SHP to ask for a meeting date to discuss how we can make a Big Lottery Fund application, as well as sit down to discuss further courses in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment