Sunday 20 August 2017

Sunday 20th August 2017 - week off for surgery



Posted 12:55pm
10 days since my last blog posting - and this is a purely personal entry.
It also demonstrates one of the major reasons behind our Ajani program, and the outlook of HMHB. Issues can come upon us at any time.  We can allow them to consume us, or we can fight them head on and come out the other end stronger and upbeat (not always easy).

Last weekend I found I had lost almost all my sight in my left eye. Come Monday, I was on my way home following a meeting (I'll cover that in the next blog post), and popped into Specsavers. They took a photo, phoned someone, and I was immediately packed into a taxi on the way to Moorfields Eye Hospital, in Old Street.

Long story short, I had a detached retina, macula off, with multiple tears (in fact I later found out I had 12 tears in the eye).  No pain incredibly, but also no sight. It was serious, and I hoped to have surgery on the Tuesday, but this was delayed to the Wednesday. I spent over an hour under local anaesthetic, but hopefully everything has been repaired.

It put on hold all the project work for a week - naturally.  It has been a rollercoaster of a ride for the last few months, so maybe a week of relaxation was required.  But this week coming involves a lot of chasing up of contacts and meetings.

But I have to say a few years ago I would probably have gone to pieces - allowing self-pity to overwhelm me, bringing back depression and ruining things again.  I have stayed very positive all the way through - which I admit was not easy - it is the first time in my life I have been on an operating table.  But I still have my dream, my targets, my hope for the project - and we have to grab the opportunity now. I cannot sit back and let issues dictate to me - I will dictate to them. Yay

No comments:

Post a Comment