Wednesday 10 August 2016

Wednesday 10th August 2016 - seven key words!!!

Posted 9:00pm
Will have all proposals out, that I have completed so far.  There are two more to prepare, which I will get out at the start of next week.
I did a list on my phone earlier, a reminder list - detailing all the things I still have to do.  It got longer and longer, and demonstrates the huge amount of work that has so far gone into getting to this stage.

I do have seven key words - listed in my flat - that I try and live/work behind.  I have to make a lot of effort to try and keep to them.  They are also the words we are going to concentrate on with our clients.

They are (in no particular order)

PROCRASTINATION:  Anyone that knows me, does know that I have had an issue with that over the last few years.  I have been trying very hard to keep up with paperwork and decisions.  There has definitely been improvement, but even now I need to ensure that I don't put things off, and allow issues to build up.  Working on my own like this - despite the fact I have terrific friendship and support from certain people - means things can quickly get on top of me.
This is why it is one of the issues we want our clients to recognise can cause them problems while they are looking for employment.  The "I'll do it tomorrow" attitude needs to be broken.

ADAPTABILITY:  This is one of those "skills" that employers say they are looking for when they list their job descriptions.  I have had to do this with HMHB several times over the development of the concept.  I recall one particular network event where one conversation changed my outlook completely.  I also attended a bootcamp that made me adjust my thoughts on the fitness side of the program.  It is very important we recognise that we do not know everything, and circumstances come along that mean you might need to change your outlook completely.

PERSEVERANCE:  This is relevant to both my own struggle to getting this project underway, as well as my own life issues that have compounded the last few years.  I can therefore empathise with anyone that feels like giving up.  I have been there, and know how much it tugs at you.  Several times I have been told to give HMHB up, as "it's a great idea Lawrence, but no one is going to give you any money". I have almost felt people rolling their eyes as I have continued on.  I am not saying that if you carry on with something you will always find success, but at least try and follow your dreams until it is certain it cannot happen.  I have come a long way, and learnt a great deal about myself and others.

LISTEN:  I remember drawing up my first Business Plan, and being delighted with it.  I went along to a company that helped with 'Starting A Business'.  The bloke across the desk took the Plan, and very quickly told me - nicely - that most of it needed changing.  I was slightly miffed, but did what he suggested.  Suddenly, what was a bland and boring Plan came alive.  It looked amazing.  Always listen to advice.  I would say, not all of it is good and constructive.  You do not have to go with it.
But always listen.  I have attended hundreds of meetings over the last six/seven years setting this up.
There is normally at least one or two pieces of information that have jumped out at me.  The reason I am as far along as I am, is that I have been lucky to have a mentor, Scott, who has kept me focused with encouragement and patience, but most of all belief.  His advice has been crucial.

RESPONSIBILITY:  It does not matter how much you talk about things, it is your own responsibility to make sure tasks are fulfilled.  That can be anything.  Yes, on occasions you may be able to delegate to someone else.  I am hoping to get my website completed soon.  It is something I cannot do, but have arranged for a friend to look at it for me.  But most of what I need to do, I must do myself.  And this is very important for all my clients.  It feels like in this day and age that people want to blame others all the time.  No one wants to accept responsibility for their actions.  Proposals only get done if I do them.  Booklets get produced if I arrange it.  It's up to me to try and get some money for the project - support and backing.  Don't rely on others to do what you should do.

PRO-ACTIVE:  Anyone that knows me, and read my old blog, knows how much I like that word
Nothing gets done by sitting back and waiting.  I used it a lot when I was recovering from depression, and having major fits of self-pity.  I would sit at home and do nothing.  And of course no progress would be made.  As soon as I started getting out, preparing papers, making calls, arranging meetings, things came alive.  That automatically gives one a life.  The secret of most success is ensuring that you will be at the right place at the right time.  The only way to do that is to get out and about.

CHOICE:  This is the most important word.  For everyone - me, my clients, you, everybody, we choose how to react to situations.  We do not always have control over everything in our lives. Others may make decisions that affect us - government, bosses, landlords etc.  And there will be good things and bad things.  But we can choose how we react.  We can get depressed and disappointed.  We can get angry and defensive.  We can use crutches to help us (for example alcohol, substances, food) when we get stressed and down.  Or, we can choose to fight and stay positive.  It is not easy.  I know. My own struggles are known to people.  And I have taken the wrong option.  Hopefully, I now recognise when things might go wrong and know how to deal with it.  It's my choice. A massive word!!  An important one.

No comments:

Post a Comment